University of California Santa Cruz
University of California Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 33541
UC Santa Cruz Student Health Services is excited to announce an opening on our clinical team. Are you a Nurse Practitioner who is passionate about working with a diverse student community? Would you like to make a positive difference in a college student's experience? We are seeking a Nurse Practitioner to work either 4 or 5 days a week (80%-100% time). The position also offers the possibility of a 4 or 8 week summer furlough. Positions with summer work breaks contain regularly scheduled periods during which the Nurse Practitioner remains an employee, retains health benefits, but is not at work. Work schedule preferences can be discussed at interview.
Thank you for your interest in Student Health Services at UC Santa Cruz.
10/4/22 - Please Note: Position open until filled - still accepting applications after the posted Initial Review Date (IRD).
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 4-25-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
UC Santa Cruz (UCSC) Student Health Services (SHS) is a full-service medical facility offering clinical, educational, and psychological support to UCSC students. SHS is deeply committed to ensuring affordable, well-integrated, multidisciplinary healthcare that effectively supports the university's diverse campus communities through equitable access and culturally competent, high-quality programs and services. The Primary Care Program includes primary care and same-day care, with the support of on-site radiology, a COLA-accredited high complexity clinical laboratory and campus pharmacy. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) supports UCSC students to maintain or improve their general well-being by providing a broad range of counseling, psychiatric services, consultation and outreach services and programs. Other departments include Student Health Outreach and Promotion (SHOP), home of the Condom Co-op; CARE (Campus Advocacy, Resources, and Education) the advocacy and prevention education office that supports survivors of sexual assault, stalking, and dating/domestic violence; and Student Insurance Programs. SHS employs approximately 120 staff including physicians, psychiatrists, case managers, lab scientists, pharmacists, nurses, radiologists, and many other clinical and administrative staff. Student Health Services welcomes staff with interest and experience in working with students with a wide range of ethnic, cultural, and gender identities.
Under the general direction of the Associate Medical Director and/or Medical Director and in accordance with standardized procedures, provides primary ambulatory care and telehealth services as part of the Student Health Services health care team. Assesses health status; evaluates and manages illnesses or injuries; provides initial psychological evaluation; promotes wellness, disease prevention and health education; coordinates appropriate follow-up care, referrals and case management. May serve on health center committees. Provides input for continuous improvement of services. Understands the principles of patient-centered care and the importance of the primary care provider to deliver high quality patient care.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $54.55 - $69.19 / Hourly. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and years of licensed experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Part-time or Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 80% - 100%, 32 or 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment (no summer furlough), but has the option to be a Partial Year Career (4 week or 8 week summer furlough)
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: NX
Job Code Classification: 009147 (NURSE PRACT 2)
Travel: Never or Rarely
100% - Patient Care
- Provides direct patient care, including in-person and telehealth visits, in the Student Health Center clinic according to standardized procedures and protocols.
- Takes clinical history; performs problem-focused physical examinations.
- Provides clinical assessment and management of patients with routine health problems, episodic acute illnesses and stable chronic illnesses, minor injuries, routine gynecological care and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Orders, performs and/or assists in the performance of laboratory or screening procedures, including lab, x-ray and EKGs.
- Orders, performs and/or assists in the performance of therapeutic procedures.
- Recognizes and evaluates life-threatening situations, initiates emergency treatment.
- Educates and counsels patients about physical and mental health, such as social habits, family planning, normal growth and development, and disease management.
- Provides support around issues commonly confronted by college students: sexual health, drugs and alcohol, stress, and relationship issues.
- Evaluates and manages depression and anxiety in collaboration with the counseling and psychiatric services available on campus and in the community.
- Makes referrals to outside health facility or service in the community when necessary.
- Provides medication or prescription for medication per protocols.
- Performs minor procedures, such as laceration repair, incision and drainage, application of splints and casts, and treatment of minor burns.
- Promotes continuity of care by assuming the role of primary care provider for patients with chronic or on-going health issues using the principles of patient-centered care.
- Completes appropriate documentation and detailed charting as well as billing and coding responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Initiates and manages care for patients requiring IV hydration or medication.
- Other related duties may include peer review, committee and/or special projects participation.
- As a member of the health care team, promotes smooth functioning of services by assisting where help is needed which may include occasional nights or weekends.
- Significant experience and background in a general medicine, urgent care, family practice setting which is typically obtained after three to five, or more, years of post-training work experience
- Significant experience in women's health, management of illness and injury which is typically obtained after three to five, or more, years of post-training work experience
- Demonstrated competency in providing outpatient primary care management of adults including both medical and psychosocial assessments and treatments
- Excellent oral communication skills; excellent listening skills; ability to receive and give clear and concise information and communicate clearly and effectively with patients, colleagues, and staff members
- Excellent written communication skills: Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively in writing with patients, colleagues, and staff members
- Demonstrated competency in working on a multidisciplinary team; ability to contribute to team effort
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural competency in serving a diverse student population
- Demonstrated flexibility and organizational skills with ability to prioritize a high-volume workload, and work independently under time pressures with minimal supervision
- Ability to work on several tasks concurrently with frequent interruptions; ability to maintain concentration in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work and communicate in a positive and cooperative manner with management and supervisory staff, medical staff, co-workers and other healthcare personnel; ability to respond well to supervision
- Ability to handle difficult, sensitive and confidential situations tactfully
- Experience using Electronic Medical Records
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected Candidate will be required to pass a pre-hire criminal history background check and a pre-hire credentialing check prior to formal job offer. Credentialing includes the following requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program (MSN Degree)
- Current State of California Registered Nurse license in good standing
- Current State of California Nurse Practitioner license in good standing
- Possession of Nurse Practitioner Furnishing Number (NPF)
- Current DEA Registration
- Board Certification as a Nurse Practitioner
- Possession of a current BLS CPR certification or must obtain within six months from date of hire
- Must complete HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility Act) Training within 30 days of hire
- Must complete Title IX (Sexual Harassment) training every two years
- Will be required to comply with current Student Health Center employee health safety requirements for health care workers as defined by state and federal regulatory agencies; current health safety requirements to be discussed during interview
- If selected candidate engages in telehealth visits, they must be able to work remotely from a home office and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Job will require occasional working of non-traditional hours
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Date Posted : 10/11/2022
Share On :